Can Pendant Lights Be Used in a Bathroom? [A Quick Guide]
Bathroom lighting is often an afterthought - people tend to choose the light fixture that matches the style of the room and call it a day.
But what if you could choose something that not only matched the style of your bathroom but also provided some function and added some extra style?
Pendant lights are a great option for bathrooms because they can provide task lighting while also adding a unique touch to the room.
Let’s take a look.
Can pendant lights be used in a bathroom?
The good news is that, yes, pendant lights can be used in a bathroom.
They can provide the necessary task lighting for shaving or applying makeup without taking up too much space.
A single pendant light over the vanity mirror works great for this purpose and can look very stylish as well.
You may also want to consider adding multiple pendant lights above the vanity mirror for a bolder look.
Let's take a look at some of the things to consider when choosing pendant lights for your bathroom:
- Make sure your pendant lights are rated for use in wet or damp locations - you don't want to take any chances with electricity and water.
- Choose a light fixture that is the right size for your bathroom. Pendant lights come in a variety of sizes, so you will want to make sure you choose one that fits the scale of your space. If you have a smaller bathroom, opt for a smaller pendant light.
- Find the right style and finish to match your bathroom's decor. There are many different styles of pendant lights available, so you can choose one that best matches the existing style of your room. Pay attention to the finish as well; if you have other metal fixtures in your bathroom, you may want to opt for a pendant light with a similar finish.
- If you have limited space, consider using mini pendants or even wall sconces instead of traditional pendant lights. These can help provide task lighting without taking up too much room.
How do you hang a pendant light in a bathroom?
You will need to use an appropriate mounting bracket and make sure your pendant light is securely mounted. You may also want to consult a professional electrician for help installing the light fixture in your bathroom.
Here's how it works:
- First, install the mounting bracket and make sure all connections are properly secured before proceeding.
- Next, attach the pendant light to the bracket following the manufacturer's instructions. Make sure both the electrical and mechanical connections are secure before installing the fixture.
- Finally, turn on your power and test out your bathroom lighting!
Pendant lights can be a great addition to any bathroom. They provide the necessary task lighting, while also adding a stylish touch to your space.
Just make sure to choose one that is rated for use in damp or wet locations and fits the scale of your bathroom. If you are uncertain, always consult an electrician for help installing your pendant light.
Frequently Asked Questions
What lights are safe for the bathroom?
Any light fixture that is rated for damp or wet locations should be safe to use in a bathroom. This includes pendant lights, wall sconces, ceiling fixtures, and more.
To ensure safety, it's important to make sure that the light fixtures you choose are IP-rated and certified for damp or wet locations. It's also a good idea to check with your local building codes as to what type of lighting is required in bathrooms.
Do you need a special light fixture for the bathroom?
It's important to use light fixtures that have the correct IP-rating and are certified for damp or wet locations to ensure safety. This includes pendant lights, as they typically hang lower than other types of lighting.
Pendant lights with metal shades may be more suitable for bathrooms than glass shades, as metal is less likely to break in a moist environment.
How big should a bathroom pendant light be?
The size of a bathroom pendant light depends on the size of your bathroom. If you have a large, spacious bathroom, then you may want to choose a larger pendant light that will fill the space and give off plenty of light.
For instance, the average large bathroom is usually around 7x10 feet, so a pendant light with a diameter of 15-20 inches should be sufficient.
However, if your bathroom is smaller or more cramped, then you may want to opt for a smaller pendant light with a diameter of 10-12 inches.
Where do you hang bathroom pendants?
Typically, above the sink or vanity is the best spot for a bathroom pendant light.
The light should be hung at least 75-80 inches above the floor. If you're looking to create a more dramatic look, hang the pendant higher, but keep in mind that it will cast more shadows.
How low should pendant lights hang over a bathroom vanity?
The recommended height for a pendant light over a bathroom vanity is 28 to 34 inches above the countertop.
This will ensure that it provides ample lighting in the area, but won't be too close or bright for comfort.
If you're using the pendant light as the main source of lighting in your bathroom, then you may want to hang it a bit higher—around 40 inches from the countertop.
This will ensure that it illuminates the entire room evenly and provides enough light for tasks like doing makeup or shaving. When in doubt, it's always best to consult an electrician who can help you decide the best placement for your pendant lights.